Maurice W. McLaughlinFounding Member
Maurice W. McLaughlin is a founding member of McLaughlin & Nardi, LLC. He handles a wide range of matters including complex negotiations, litigation and transactions. Maurice leads the firm’s litigation practice. Maurice is admitted to the bars of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts and the United States Supreme Court. He has practiced in state, federal and administrative courts throughout the Northeast.
Maurice brings a broad legal background from his many years as a litigator, prior to which he served with the Superior Court of New Jersey in Hudson County as a law clerk for Judges Barbara A. Curran and Frances L. Antonin. Maurice has considerable experience as a litigator, both in trying cases and negotiating settlements.
Maurice also serves as a mediator. He mediates disputes between private parties and is appointed by the Superior Court of New Jersey to matters being litigated there. The Superior Court has also appointed Maurice as a mentor to train new mediators.
Maurice has been an adjunct professor with the Public Administration Institute of Farleigh Dickinson University since 1999, teaching courses in law, ethics and communications. Maurice served as a United States Naval officer when he participated in Operation Earnest Will during the Iran-Iraq Tanker War. Maurice also served as a United States Merchant Marine officer.
Maurice received his bachelor’s degree in political science with a minor in business from Mount Saint Mary's University. He received his juris doctor from New York Law School, cum laude, where he served as an editor on the New York Law School Journal of Human Rights. He received an LL.M. from New York University School of Law. He is a graduate of the Morris Pashman Inn of Court.
Maurice is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association. He is a member of its commercial and employment law sections, and Pro Bono Committee. Maurice was chair of the Pro Bono Committee from 2006 through 2010. Maurice is also a Trustee of the Suburban Essex Chamber of Commerce, serving Bloomfield, Glen Ridge and Belleville, New Jersey. Maurice is also a leader with Cub Scout Pack 22, of St. Thomas the Apostle School in Bloomfield, New Jersey. Maurice is on the Saint Thomas The Apostle School Sports Association.
Maurice is widely published. He is the author of the treatise New Jersey Public Employment Law, published by Gann Law Books. Maurice’s other publications include:
- Drastic Changes to New Jersey's Tenure System, N.J. Law Journal, March 25, 2013.
- The Questionable Validity of the New Business Rule as a Bar to Lost Profits, New Jersey. State Bar Association Business Law Newsletter, January 2012.
- A Justice Gap and a Bar’s Response, In re Magazine, New Jersey Lawyer, August 9, 2008.
- When Is a Volunteer Not a Volunteer? An Individual May Not Be a Volunteer and a Paid Employee at the Same Job for the Same Public Entity, N.J. Law Journal, March 24, 2003;
- Voices of the Bar: Backlogged before the End of Discovery? N.J. Law Journal, September 30, 2002;
- Harassment Policies: How Safe a Haven?, N.J. Lawyer, September 9, 2002;
- Application of the Continuing Violation Doctrine Under Title VII and New Jersey’s Law Against Discrimination, Rutgers Law Journal, May 16, 2002 (with James McGovern);
- Voices of the Bar: Disparate Impact Discrimination Claims Are Nothing New, N.J. Law Journal, Aug. 6, 2001;
- Holding Supervisors Liable Under the Law Against Discrimination, N.J. Law Journal, July 3, 2000;
- Liquidated Damages in Employment Contracts, N.J. Law Journal, March 6, 2000.