Maurice W. McLaughlinFounding Member
Maurice W. McLaughlin is a founding member of McLaughlin & Nardi, LLC. He handles a wide range of matters including complex negotiations, litigation and transactions. Maurice leads the firm’s litigation practice. Maurice is admitted to the bars of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts and the United States Supreme Court. He has practiced in state, federal and administrative courts throughout the Northeast.
Maurice brings a broad legal background from his many years as a litigator, prior to which he served with the Superior Court of New Jersey in Hudson County as a law clerk for Judges Barbara A. Curran and Frances L. Antonin. Maurice has considerable experience as a litigator, both in trying cases and negotiating settlements.
Maurice also serves as a mediator. He mediates disputes between private parties and is appointed by the Superior Court of New Jersey to matters being litigated there. The Superior Court has also appointed Maurice as a mentor to train new mediators.
Maurice was an adjunct professor with the Public Administration Institute of Farleigh Dickinson University from 1999 through 2010, teaching courses in law, ethics and communications. Maurice served as a United States Naval officer when he participated in Operation Earnest Will during the Iran-Iraq Tanker War. Maurice also served as a United States Merchant Marine officer.
Maurice received his bachelor’s degree in political science with a minor in business from Mount Saint Mary's University. He received his juris doctor from New York Law School, cum laude, where he served as an editor on the New York Law School Journal of Human Rights. He received an LL.M. from New York University School of Law. He is a graduate of the Morris Pashman Inn of Court.
Maurice is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association. He is a member of its commercial and employment law sections, and Pro Bono Committee. Maurice was chair of the Pro Bono Committee from 2006 through 2010. Maurice is also a Trustee of the Suburban Essex Chamber of Commerce, serving Bloomfield, Glen Ridge and Belleville, New Jersey. Maurice is also a leader with Cub Scout Pack 22, of St. Thomas the Apostle School in Bloomfield, New Jersey. Maurice is on the Saint Thomas The Apostle School Sports Association.
New York University School of Law, Master of Laws, New York, New York, May 1996
New York Law School, Juris Doctor, New York, New York, February 1995
Notes and Comments Editor, New York Law School Journal of Human Rights
Mount Saint Mary's University, B.A., Emmitsburg, Maryland, May 1984
Morris Pashman Inn of Court, Hackensack, New Jersey, May 2002
New Jersey, 1995
New York, 1995
United States Supreme Court, 2004
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 1995
United States Tax Court, 2004
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2012
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2012
- Maurice is the author of the treatise New Jersey Public Employment Law, initially published by Gann Law Books in 2012, with new additions published annually thereafter.
- Maurice’s second book is expected to be published by Gann Law Books in 2019. It will cover New Jersey employment law governing civil service and non-civil service public sector employment at the local, county and state levels, and at public boards and authorities. It will also cover the special rules governing the employment of law enforcement officers and firefighters, and civil service appeals.
- Overview of Construction Law, 1st ed. 2015, McLaughlin & Nardi, LLC, Totowa, New Jersey
- Drastic Changes to N.J.’s Tenure System, The TEACHNJ Act Modifies Educator Evaluations And Training Procedures, N.J. Law Journal, March 25, 2013.
- The Questionable Viability of the New Business Rule as a Bar to Lost Profits, New Jersey State Bar Association Business Law Newsletter, January 2012
- A Justice Gap and a Bar's Response, In re Magazine, New Jersey Lawyer, August 9, 2008
- When Is a Volunteer Not a Volunteer? An Individual May Not Be a Volunteer and a Paid Employee at the Same Job for the Same Public Entity, N.J. Law Journal, March 24, 2003
- Voices of the Bar: Backlogged before the End of Discovery?, N.J. Law Journal, September 30, 2002
- Harassment Policies: How Safe a Haven?, N.J. Lawyer, September 9, 2002
- Application of the Continuing Violation Doctrine Under Title VII and New Jersey’s Law Against Discrimination, Rutgers Law Journal, May 16, 2002 (with James McGovern)
- Voices of the Bar: Disparate Impact Discrimination Claims Are Nothing New, N.J. Law Journal, Aug. 6, 2001
- Holding Supervisors Liable Under the Law Against Discrimination, N.J. Law Journal, July 3, 2000
- Liquidated Damages in Employment Contracts, N.J. Law Journal, March 6, 2000
- Contribute monthly/weekly articles to New Jersey Lawyers Blog
- In re Perno, Police Officer Elmwood Park, New Jersey Merit Systems Board, 2005.
- Wilenta Feed, Inc. v. Arnold Food Co., Inc., 2006 WL 798916, United States District Court for the District of Connecticut, March 29, 2006.
- United States vs. Grello, 2010 WL 4181059, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, October 20, 2010.
- Perno vs. Chrysler Group, LLC, 2011 WL 868899, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, March 10, 2011.
- TBI vs. Clear Cut, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2014 WL 12616940
- Safarian vs. American DG Energy, Inc., United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2015, 622 Fed. Appx. 149 (3d Cir. 2015)
- Safarian vs. American DG Energy, Inc., United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2015 2015 WL 12698441
- Kirman vs. United Parcel Service, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2015; 2014 WL 3853900
- Kirman v. United Parcel Service, Inc., d/b/a/ UPS, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2015, 2015 WL 7720494
- Brown vs. Makofka & City of Jersey City, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2016, 644 Fed.Appx. 139 (3d Cir. 2016)
- Wilenta Carting, Inc. v. Wenner Bread Products, Inc., United States District Court, D. New Jersey 2017 2017 WL 2799692
- Pierce v. City of Hackensack, New Jersey Civil Service Commission, 2017, 2017 WL 3332624, OAL Dkt. CSV 01242-1, 2015
- In re Lisowski, Fire Fighter, Paterson, New Jersey Civil Service Commission, 2017, CSC Docket No. 2017-2961
- In re Camillo: Police Officer City of Jersey City, New Jersey Civil Service Commission, 2018, CSC Docket 2017-1441
- United States Naval Officer, Active 1985 - 1990; Reserve 1990 - 1993
- United States Merchant Marine Officer, 1991 – 1992
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Standing Committee on Pro Bono, 2002-2015
- § Chair, 2006-2010
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Business Law Section
- Dispute Resolution Section
- Standing Committee on Pro Bono, 2002-2015
- New Jersey Association for Justice, 2010-present
- Suburban Essex Chamber of Commerce
- Member since 2004
- Trustee, 2014-present
- Member, New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators, 2017-present
- Member, District XI Fee Arbitration Committee, 2018-present
- Member, Bloomfield, New Jersey, Commission on Human and Civil Rights, 2018-present
- Completed 6 marathons
- Volunteer Leader, Cub Scout Pack 22, Boy Scout Troop 22, Friends of Troop 22, Bloomfield, New Jersey, 2009-present
- Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Disabled American Veterans of America
- Rugby Team, Mount Saint Mary’s University