Landlord / Tenant
New Jersey landlord / tenant law provides a comprehensive scheme which regulates the landlord / tenant relationship. Few areas are as contentious or as important to the people involved. A lease often represents the tenant's home or its most important business asset. The property is a significant investment, if not the most significant investment for the landlord. It may be the small landlord's sole livelihood. A tenant's failure to pay rent can therefore cause severe financial hardship.
McLaughlin & Nardi's New Jersey landlord / tenant attorneys handle tenancy disputes. We represent both commercial and residential landlords and tenants. Where possible, we try to resolve landlord/tenant disputes through negotiation, since this is often the quickest and most cost-efficient method. This is why we approach drafting leases to provide for what could go wrong, so the parties can plan in advance to avoid problems, and have remedies when issues do arise.
However, when an agreement cannot be reached, we have extensive litigation experience. Our New Jersey landlord/tenant attorneys are zealous advocates for our clients’ interests in court.
Examples of our New Jersey landlord/tenant attorneys’ experience includes:
- Extensive litigation of a wide variety of landlord/tenant matters for residential and commercial landlords and tenants.
- Representing both commercial and residential tenants who face wrongful eviction by their landlords, from one family apartment dwellers to factories.
- Representing landlords in eviction actions for non-payment of rent and other lease violations, including litigation over many different tenant defenses.
- Litigating on behalf of landlords and tenants over purchase options in leases.
- Litigating disputes over alleged breaches of the warrantees of habitability and quiet enjoyment.
- Appearing in Landlord/Tenant Court for removal of holdover or abusive tenants.
- Regulatory compliance.
- Lease negotiation, drafting and interpretation.
- Seeking injunctive relief and restraining orders to prevent property damage or wrongful eviction.
- Suits for breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment of the premises and constructive eviction.
- Disputes over the exercise of options to purchase property contained in leases.
- Disputes between landlords and tenants over responsibilities for environmental cleanup.
- Litigation for ejectment in the Chancery Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey.
- Representing residential and commercial landlords and tenants in bankruptcy proceedings under Chapters 7, 11 and 13.
- Representing residential and commercial tenants in litigation over wrongfully withheld security deposits.
- Collection of unpaid rent.
- Representing buyers and sellers of real estate with tenants.
- Representing tenants who have been evicted by municipalities because their landlord rented them an illegal apartment, including recovering damages from the landlord.
- We litigate cases of alleged fraud in leasing for both landlords and tenants.
- Failure of landlords and tenants to make required repairs
- Failure of landlords to make required upgrades prior to occupancy.
- We litigate cases of alleged discrimination in housing on behalf of both tenants and landlords.
- Mediation of many landlord/tenant disputes.
Our New Jersey landlord / tenant attorneys have significant experience in all aspects of the landlord / tenant relationship. Contact one of our New Jersey landlord / tenant attorneys by email or call (973) 890-0004. We can help.